Thursday, March 09, 2006

Out Of The Closet...

All right y'all. Don't you dare laugh at me.

They've been saying for a couple of days that a really bad storm was coming this way. The wind was blowing really bad this morning, when I came back from lunch the stoplights were blowing horizontal with the road. Windy storms aren't a good thing for those of us here in the south right now. We're all still suffering a bit from post traumatic stress syndrome as a result of Katrina. So the wind kept on blowing and everybody in town is wound up tighter than a rubber band. I mean, they are sending kids home from school across the state and businesses are closed and all of that. It doesn't take much to make us a tad jumpy these days, and nobody needs to apologize for that. We're moving forward and recovering, but some things are gonna take time.

So I got back to work and had brought the sec's lunch w/ me because she didn't want to go out just when the storm was supposed to be hitting. We were sitting in the breakroom watching the weather on tv, and the tornado siren starts blaring. She grabs her purse and told me let's go while I'm scooping up her cigarettes and coke and cell phone, because let's face it, if I'm gonna be trapped in a closet for a week or two with that lady, I am definitely not going to be wanting to share the one cup of coffee I had in my hand, my own half a pack of cigs, or my cell phone. Now, bear with me for a minute. The siren is blaring and it's the first time I've EVER heard one go off during a storm. My recent experience with storms is the gosh-awful 2 weeks without power cleaning up debris after Katrina. So all I know is that the siren is going off and a tornado is coming and I'm gonna be stuck in a closet for a couple of weeks with the sec with a building piled on top of me. ...I follwed her to the closet, and said, "We are NOT shutting the door." ... she looked at me like I was crazy and started talking about how we should have grabbed pillows. HUH? I'm in the closet with a nut and she wants pillows? I'm more worried about making sure she has her own darn drink and phone and she wants to take a nap? (I know now the pillows are to protect your head, but hey, what can I say??) ...so the siren screams and screams and I'm crying because she's worried about pillows and then we realize there's no way to shut the closet from inside. Jeezzz.... So I spent fifteen minutes today in the closet with the sec crying my eyes out scared to death because DH was too busy to talk to me when I called to ask him what I was supposed to do. I thought I was going to die and the siren kept screaming...

I don't know how you southerners can do this stuff so calmly. Guess you can take the California Girl away from the earthquakes, but you can't make her like tornado sirens!

6 Comments:

Blogger pebblepie said...

A tree fell on my house last night...
I have pics posted at my other site

Blue Star Mom

It snowed today, very pretty.

8:31 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

Hell I am glad you held up. I would be peeing my pants and totally swearing at my husband if that happened. Damn Val.. where the heck did you go on your honeymoon.

12:51 AM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

I'm living in a mobile home up on blocks and the radio went off at 4:30 in the morning telling me that we had a toronado warning for the next hour. Oh, boy do I wake up hubby and get him upset of do I just wait it out. I'm not about to go to my daughters at that hour with her motherinlaw there. So I got dressed and had him get dressed we ate breakfast and just waited. We had about 20 minutes of heavy rain and that was all. Now I'm not sure what to do about the next one. My son in law tells me to expect a lot of them this spring. Oh for New Mexico and just dirt storms.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Me said...

LOL... Well, let's consider now that you are an 'old hat' at this you won't have to cry next time????? :)


PS:
Just picture putting a southerner in a California 5.5 earthquake (minor by their standards) and see how THEY react. That should make you feel better.

8:34 AM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

I agree about tornados and earthquakes. It's what you get used to.

10:43 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

That's a mighty scary thought, you and the sec in the closet for 2 weeks. Yikes!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home