Monday, December 12, 2005

Non-Political Post...

Cripes. Or more specifically, Crips.

I try really hard not to post about political subjects on here, because opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and I don't want to turn my blog into a political debate.

But I am watching and waiting on word about what Gov. Arnold S. out west is going to decide about Tookie Williams, co-founder of the Crips gang. I imagine, good old Swartzie, not having grown up on the streets of southern CA will probably stay the execution. And I'm really hoping he doesn't. This one definitely needs to be made an example of, regardless of the fact that he's writing childrens books and working the system now well enough to be nominated for a peace prize. If you haven't driven through neighborhoods near Watts in L.A., you aren't going to understand me. It's been scarier than shit down there for all of my lifetime. It's not one of those places you can stop in a well-lit area to use a payphone in the middle of the night. Trust me. I actually made this mistake once. I was driving through there with my pistol on the dash board of my car, (people usually don't travel those areas without some sort of weapon on them/in their vehicle...) I had one of my daughters with me, who was 1 year old at the time. It was about 3 a.m. and I was trying to find the right freeway to get to my half-sister's house in San Diego. I stopped at a deserted pay phone in the parking lot of a well-lit gas station, and by the time I picked up the receiver there were twenty people walking around the parking lot with clubs and sticks... not threatening me but making sure I knew they were there... One lady was pushing a stoller and came up to me and said ..."get in your car and go. Don't stop for anything or anybody. Just get the hell out of here." Pretty freaky. I was scared and never stopped near there again.

One of the reasons I moved away from CA almost 8 years ago is due to the fact that the gang problem is still present and spreading across all of southern CA. There hasn't been much in the news since the riots after the Rodney King beatings, but it's still there... I know that the execution of one man is not going to solve the problem or clean up the streets... that's the sad part.

So anyway, I'm watching. Waiting. And finished, with my non-political post.

7 Comments:

Blogger P M Prescott said...

Let's hope he keeps his title of the Governator and terminates this guy. The process has worked to it's fullest extent. If he relents and gives clemency it just makes a mockery of the whole process.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yeppers Tig. Delightfully said.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

this is your "neutral blog topic"? I totally agree with you though.

2:48 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

HEY when you got a pile of dirty dishes you gotta start with one!

2:53 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

I agree with you Kim. He started the Crips. They are a notorious gang that has grown by leaps and bounds not only California but all over the nation. I grew up behind the Orange curtain in my middle class neighborhood but we had our scares there too. Once I remember driving to Compton with my friend to pick up another to go out clubbing. We stopped at the light by Fat Burgers and the masses started stareing back at us. We both are not White. I am Italian/Spanish and my friend was Mexican. We both have brown skin. They came toward the car and I started screaming to drive. It was scary. Anyhow I think a lot of those neighborhoods have just gotten worse there. Is Tookie William redeemed? I cant see how. The Crips are a nationwide gang. They have different infractions all over the nation and they are even here in Hawaii. I think he still has a lot of power even behind bars. My sister is in Orange California and she said the majority wants Arnold to pull the plug. I guess they got their wish.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Nobody said...

It's no wonder people care more about the pets in California.....

Perhaps when the big 1 hits and it falls into the Pacific it'll wipe most of them out, like ...another place that's recently become completely crime free....

1:19 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Govenator denies clemency!!! Good for him!

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home