Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Yeah Baby!

The ever-dreaded jury summons came in the mail the other day. I'm already on the list for u.s. district court (which would mean an hours drive out of town and would REALLY be fun but do they call for me, NOOOOO). I get the cheap little carbon sheet put out by circuit court across the street from the office. I got one two and a half years ago. Ah, small town life is great. Our office represented one of the parties in the trial I was called for, so two phone calls from my boss and SLAM! Ex-Cused. SOoooo... I waived the paper in front of my boss who said again??. This time it only involved one phone call. (Please note on your scorecard for anyone keeping track that this service was NOT offered to the sec when she was called two years ago. SHE had to go and spend the day sitting over there HAH). I thought long and hard about saying I wanted to go, heck, that would give me a 4 day weekend because of the holiday Friday. But after thinking about it, nah. I'd rather come to work. I just couldn't figure out how to blog from the courthouse!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

never had jury duty-but when i was interning at the courthouse I saw a lot of potential jurors, they all looked miserable.

Im requesting input from the peanut gallery- which fork first?

10:45 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

I KNEW YOU LOVED US BETTER!!! I got papers a few times and threw them away. OK BREATHE will ya. I had way too many babies and could not take the time. Do they know I got them,,,,,,,,,NO

11:28 AM  
Blogger dorothy rothschild said...

I've moved so many times since I've lived in NYC, I've managed to escape their clutches. I'll get some thing from Kings County (Brooklyn), but I'll have moved to Queens. Then I'll get something from Queens County, but have moved back to Brooklyn. Hah! (knocking on wood right now).

11:33 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sara - Outside fork first. LOL

11:46 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oops, maybe not. Gonna have to reasearch this one.

11:49 AM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

I've been called up to Jury duty once and the wife twice. Sit and wait then they send you home. Neither one of us actually got to sit on a jury -- so a huge waste of time. Teacher's get their subs so we can't collect the pay, and my wife was never paid. The papers are fussing that Municipal court is two years behind in paying for juries.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Hubby got called once and forgot to go. POURED on the charm to the county person right before they considered whether to issue a warrent or not! Phew!

4:35 PM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

I have never been called. I wish I would but they wouldn't let me sevice. I worked as a deputy sheriff in Calif years ago and I spent 12 years in the insurance field. I don't think lawyers like that kind of background. What do you do in the law office accept cover for the secretary?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Tig - don't even get me started on the court system, it's worse than the office system LOL!

Idgie - I have nightmares about doing something like that :)

Gran - the sec has worked here for almost 5 years. The atty she works for is in his late 60s, and just doesn't do conflict well outside the courtroom. They aren't "involved" but she sure does get away with some rediculous stuff!

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home