Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Live! From The Office...

I'm still humming that little ditty from this morning!

Deck the halls with files & clients
fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la
The sec didn't show up to annoy us
fa-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la

It's been a joyously beautiful day, the doors and windows all open, having the opportunity to stress to those who have called and inquired that alas, No, She did not show up for work again today... I was cheery to the office supply guy who dropped off the letterhead. I was not nice to the new guy from another office supply company who waited patiently as I took four phone calls, spoke to a client who came in and an atty who needed something. Poor guy. I took his card and told him I would make sure everyone in the office knew what they had available. When he continued to stand at my desk and stammer and riffle through his folder to haul out a brochure, I stood up (with my menacing glare) and told him as he could see I was quite busy and did not have any more time to spend with him today. Oh, yes, I have so much fun on days like this.

I apologized for the sec's great incompetence to two clients who came in for this or that when I either could not find their needed item or it was clear that she just hadn't done it.

Then, I had one of the worst moments of my entire life. In fact, I'm fighting a migraine the past 3 1/2 hours because of it. See, the boss asked me if a particular client knew if he had court coming up. Yes, I had spoke to him a few weeks ago and in fact had also sent a fax reminder that day as well. So I made a courtesy call since I had nothing better to do right then. The wife answered the phone and after I identified myself and reminded her of the court date, she screamed, shrieked and burst into tears somehow getting across that he had just passed away. I felt like shit, let me tell you, even though since he hadn't made the obits yet there was no way I could have known... I just feel terrible about getting the woman THAT upset when she was already probably lost in space over it all. It really sucked.

11 Comments:

Blogger P M Prescott said...

No sense getting a mirgraine over one issue out of your control, especially on such a good day. Relax and enjoy the rest of it.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Ouch

Take Care
Michael

2:44 PM  
Blogger Marybeth said...

There was no way you could have known. She's going to feel this way no matter who calls right now. Don't be so hard on yourself. You stumbled on to something you had no control of. Geesh...I hope you feel better. Migraines are not fun. I know from experience.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yikes - you're telling me! I don't get them that often, usually only from REALLY bad stress... it was just the shock of her scream, I keep hearing it over and over again...

3:36 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Oh Kim, that was awful! Unfortunately that happens to me quite a bit. When I have to call a customer to tell them this or that, and find out that they've died. Not good at all.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Dang.. that would put a serious damper on a good day.

4:32 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

Do your attornies not see how much this sec calls in?

6:20 PM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

Sweetie, don't feel bad. You couldn't have known and some people take grief in an extreme matter. She'll be bursting out like that every time the mailman drops a letter addressed to him for the next couple years.

Send a sympathy card and move on.

5:37 AM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Been there done that. Making voter calls gives you lots of people that have died. I suffered with migraines for years. Now I don't seem to have them anymore.

Spending my entire working life as a secretary or bookkeeper what is up with this gal. She needs some motivation. She either wants the job or she doesn't. You need to give her the choice.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

OMG, there is no way you could have known.
When my moms best friends husband died- a little later men would randomly call and ask for Irv. She would have to tell them that he had passes away and then they would make small talk and extend condolences and then ASK HER ON A DATE!!!! can you believe how tacky????

8:30 AM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Oh Lord - how horrible for you! To have that woman tell you that.

Of course you did not a thing wrong, but if you're like me, the guilt is still there.

Sorry Hon.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home