Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Thanksgiving 101

DH actually said to me this morning, "It's almost over. It won't be long and we'll be dead and it will all be over..." I told him we've got a lot of living to do before that happens! Don't know about him, but I'm only 37 and definitely have a LOT of living left to do LOL

In honor of Thanksgiving week, today's class assignment is to list what you are thankful for. I, personally, am thankful for my DH's comment which got me out of yesterday's funk and feeling alive again. I am thankful for every new laugh line and grey hair that has appeared this year. A mom who raised three teenagers and didn't have a few wrinkles and some grey must not have been doing her job (or has some very strong italian genes!) I am also thankful for having gone almost totally grey this year, because at my age I can get away with changing my haircolor several times a year and try shades I might not have gotten away with had I waited until I was older to become grey! I am thankful that the "check engine" light has been glaring at me from the dashboard of my truck the past three days even though I don't have the money to take it into the shop right now, because as long as it is lit up and glaring at me it is reminding me that I am fortunate enough to have a nice vehicle to drive. I am thankful for our home near this half-a-horse town rather in a dangerous big city type of place. I am thankful for my family and friends, IRL and online both. There have been some ups and downs this year and It would have sucked going through it all alone. I am thankful for the sec because some days she is the only thing I have to write about. Other days she is the only thing I have to complain about... I am thankful that gas prices are so high right now, because it makes me want to spend the last Thanksgiving with all my children home together--at home making it special rather than on the road having another adventure. I am thankful for all we suffered after Katrina, because it really made me appreciate life as we know it. I'm thankful for Jaye and the Wife who have quit smoking in the past couple of weeks because they've given me hope. I'm thankful that I have enough life left in me to quit myself, so thankful in fact, that I quit this morning! (fingers crossed, this is going to be HARD!)

10 Comments:

Blogger dorothy rothschild said...

Gum. Get the gum for those times when you feel week. I think cold turkey is best. But having the gum or the lozenges around is good.

8:58 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Hey you got Dianne too,, I am with ya girl,, sounds to me that I would be the only assisted person here huh. OH well you guys are soooooooo strong I just love it. I Know you can do it,, thin ahead at all teh nice calm family dinners with yoru grandbabies adn your grown kids. That is what I see, AND WE are WORTH HAVING CLEAN LUNGS!!!!!!! Who are we hurting???? US Not anymore. Great Job Kim..

9:07 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Kim I am SOOOOOOOOOO proud of you!! Congrats on your quit!

And I'm thankful for YOU! You're an awesome lady and I'm happy that we've become bloggin buddies.

You let me know if you need anything, someone to complain to about quitting, anything. I'm here for you and again I am SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Im proud of you! You know I quit a couple months ago myself! now I just need to get Jay to quit too. But I dont think that will happen until we are living together.

Just remember that you are doing this so you can be around for many more years with your family. My great grandfather died before his first grandchild was even born! (my dad) and your improving the health of your whole family.

children of smokers are twice as likely to smoke themselves. my moms best friend died in her early 50's of smoking related cancer.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Marybeth said...

Good for you! I'm so proud of you!!! Thanksgiving list...is coming...

2:10 PM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

That's the spirit. Stick your guns or is that gum? on the smoking bit. I'm so glad I never started so I can't empathize there.
Thirty-seven, hey your still a spring chicken. I've got boots older than that.

2:12 PM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Good for you to quit smoking.

I am thankful for my family. Esepically for my daughter with cancer.

5:14 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

Whooo Hoo .. That is so great you quit too. There really is a Thanksgiving Virginia ..or was that Christmas?? Lol..
Have a good one
LINDA

6:25 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Good for you! I keep lots of cough drops or lemon drops to suck on when I get the "urge"...I am also finding that chocolate works wonders...haha...

12:48 AM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Good luck on the smoking thing. Fingers crossed for you.

I like your thankful list a lot - take a downer negative and make it a positive. Good for you!

Have a great turkey day!

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home