Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Not Quite Right...

I know this Lady who's as southern as they come. Steeped in tradition, this aged Scarlett called me yesterday to let me know her husband's sister had passed away. So I rushed over on my lunch hour today, in the proper southern style, unannounced, bearing food and a sympathy card. It was the first time in my eight years of living in the south that I had managed to accomplish such a feat. Not only had I planned it out to the tiniest detail of making the escape without leaving any of us feeling awkward, I even managed to remember that the family was dieting and made sure I carried favorites that had been mentioned on previous occasions as being allowed on such diet. (I actually had to ASK some southern women a while back the proper way to do this food delivery thing, because it was all greek to me!). I pulled it off. I was so darn proud of myself, I sang with the radio all the way back to work. I did it right. Then, a block from the office, I realized what I had done that was terribly wrong. I can just hear the Lady snickering about it now...

"...She's wearing WHITE after Labor Day!"

(sigh)

Maybe I'll never get it right? ;)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hon,

Don't worry, you get lots of points just for the trying.

(I think that Labor Day rule is starting to wane a little anyhow.)

Idg

1:07 PM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

oh man just let them know your from the west. White is for anytime out here. I am proud girl, you did good

10:11 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

The Labor Day rule may be obsolete in the rest of the world, but in the Southern world IT LIVES ON! :o) As do so many other things. lol

Congrats on your first death food delivery. I'm sure there will be plenty more for you to hone your skills on.

10:55 AM  
Blogger 1 plus twins said...

what a really nice thing you did!!! jaye is right out here white is all year round. don't worry about it!

12:01 PM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

At least you won't have that problem again until Memorial Day, or is it Easter?.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Nobody said...

There is a means of tradition?
This is news to me.
I thought it was showing up at the person's house with food, and gossip.
I actually can't imagine old ladies, and gossip not being part of the same.
Find out whose unwedded, and preg in the area. Make sure there is no one related there that can hear this gossip, but most of all make it accurate..

In fact don't do any of that. No one can keep up with old ladies and gossip. Not even MSN, or CNN.

3:18 AM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

I've given up on using my Greek Shadow blog, and have switched to a more personal blog. Do drop by to say hi.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home