Tuesday, March 21, 2006

No Flowerchildren...These.

DH and I were doing lunch a little while ago, and two ladies were seated at the table next to us. One mid 50's, the other early 60s. Nails perfectly manacured. Not one hair out of place, makeup perfectly applied, full-face of course. Shoes and handbags matching, the perfect example of a gracefully aging Southern Belle.

Both were aging very well. The older ordered a glass of wine and a salad, "with shrimp... with shrimp." The younger ordered a frozen maragarita, no salt. A side salad with ranch and crabclaws, flashfried.

Now think about it. These gals were in their teens and 20s during the 60s. No acid dropping for either of them. No sir. No flower power or peace symbols or any of that stuff. Nope.

I could just see both of them back in the 60s, with their aquanet ratted hair as they stepped out, in the proper southern tradition. And here they were, 40 some odd years later, still shining examples of what a southern lady should reflect.

Yep. Acid would have fried their brains back in the 60s. They prefer to do it the hard way... ordering wine and tequilla at 11:30 in the morning. I swear...

9 Comments:

Blogger Your Mother said...

I always wanted to be a southern belle...

12:31 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

When I picture a southern belle, i picture my great aunt. she had the cute Savannah accent gorgeous white hair, dearly loved her family. at her funeral one of her childern got up to speak and said that she imagined that Mom was in heaven sitting in a rocking chair and offering God some nice cool lemonade.
Im not religious, but I could totally see it.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jolie said...

ummmm, ok...what exactly is wrong with wine and tequilla at 11:30 a.m.?? I'm failing to see a problem...of course, I myself, am a Southern Belle. Hey, she skipped the salt, which means she is also health conscious. Although I don't drink at 11:30 am now (only cause I work), I want to grow up to be just like them ;p

2:02 PM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

What, they didn't have a Champaigne Brunch? What is the South coming to these days?

2:11 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

Okay my sister used tons of Aquanet and had a beehive and if I remember correctly she used to drop acid in the 60's. Now that she is in her 50's..yep you are right .. her skins is torched. Her hair is fried. No perfect makeup for her. Then again she aint a Southern Belle either. Nope she was a California girl. Boy how things have changed. Yep alcohol and salad. That'll work.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Ooooooooo tequilla makes me meaner than a ring tailed snake. And pukey. Very pukey.

4:43 PM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Hey at there age they have earned the right to have what they want and what the doctor will allow.

Wish Icould have a rum and coke.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

A Southern Woman always looks "just so", even while slowly sliding out of her chair from too much hootch.

:)

(I, on the other hand, being 3/4ths redneck, fall out of my truck, losing my John Deere cap on the way)

4:41 AM  
Blogger dorothy rothschild said...

I saw a biography special the other night about Janis Joplin, and there were some pictures of her during a period when went home to Port Arthur after her first stay in California. She had gotten hooked on amphetamines while out there, and was determined to clean up and live straight. She was wearing a sprayed beehive in a photo from that period.

She went back to California.

When she came back to go to her 10-year high school reunion--reporters were everywhere, so there's footage--you see wild flower power Janis and her entourage prancing around in front of stunned clean-cut men with short hair and women in Jackie-O dresses (still!) and helmet hair.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home