Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Longest Day...

I know it's only been a few hours since I woke up this morning but it sure feels like it's been three days already...

The weather people are saying it's supposed to snow tonight. HERE. Flurries. At sunset. Can you imagine? Really now... you can't get much farther south than here in this part of the country without swimming. Sure, there are Texicans to the west and Floridians to the east who are actually more southern on land, but HERE, in the south, where the birds fly in the winter and people don't own jackets or gloves or any of that junk, it is supposed to snow. We're all hoping the weather people are right on this one...

I haven't had a good rant about the sec in a while. There is a toilet paper war going on. I'll try to remember to write more about that soon. I came in to work yesterday morning and her gift to me was sitting on my chair. Before I even opened it she made it clear that she hadn't bought it, that it was FREE. I feel so darn honored that she took the time to actually wrap it and place it gently in my chair. Kinda made me feel special. (HAH)

Ok. I've taken off work four different times to take Ms.STBB to get her driver's license. They don't do road tests here if it rains. Or first thing in the morning. Or between 11 and 1:30. Or after four. Or if the sun is shining. After sitting for hours this time, we finally caught someone in a good enough mood to take her out to do the road test. They were gone TWO MINUTES. Drove AROUND THE FREEKING BLOCK. And she is now a bona fide driver. Lord help any of y'all who are out on the roads in the near future because that child is in no way ready or prepared for interstate or big city driving. But hey, where she's going, she won't be driving for a while. Thank goodness.

We sat there for a really long time this go around. Prim and proper with our eyes on the floor like southern ladies do when they are the only two white people in a waiting room of forty. I was checking out the shoes. And peeking at the hats. Eveyone who came through the door was wearing some kind of hat. I didn't want to get caught looking, though, so I can only describe the shoes. There was one pair of really cheap black dollar store looking shoes sitting across from me. Three pairs of white sneakers. But you should have seen the shoes underneath the pimp green leisure suit that walked through the room. OMG. They looked like... well, like uh, rattlesnake, or something, but cut like bowling shoes. Bright green and black with polka dots on them. He was slow stepping too, showing them off. I bit my lip so I wouldn't giggle. Pretty darn snazzy.

My desk is piled up and I'm trying to plod along one file at a time. I refuse to have a nervous breakdown simply because my oldest child is leaving home next week. I won't. I won't. I won't.

8 Comments:

Blogger P M Prescott said...

There is nothing that prepares you as a parent for the job a teaching a teenager to drive. Toilet training is a breeze compared to that. It's even worse when you let them take off by themselves and you can't be there to protect them from the other crazies on the road. You think of all the times when you were a teenager and wonder how you survived and that scares you even more. This is really the hardest part of being a parent.

12:49 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Glad you liked your hand Kim ;) I figured you could use some luck with all the drama going on! Merry Christmas girl...you're a hoot.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

My brother actuall asked my mom which was the gas and which was the brake the first time they got in the car for a driving lesson.

Needless to say it made mom really nervous

3:24 PM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Tig was quiet a challenge to teach to drive. He needed to learn to drive a standard shift. Everytime he shifted I thought he was going to pick up the car the way he attacked it.

A word about your child leaving home. Don't let her know how you feel. Make her understand this is a part of growing up. If you haven't made the difference in her actions and thinking by now it is too late. Don't let her think she is doing something wrong by leaving. You know the old saying. If you don't want to loose her let her go. When she knows you trust her to be adult she will act like one. We just have to pray alot. It doesn't get any easier when it is grandkid either.

When my oldest granddaughter got married this summer. The finally of it didn't hit her father until he danced with her at the reception. He lost it big time in front of the ballroom full of people. It happens to all of us but don't let her know.

We lived in Barstow in the Foley Apartments which overlooked the railroad yards at the edge of town but that was Christmas of 1950.

Sorry, I sometime think age gives me the right to give advice.

5:53 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

Omg ..I love the pimp daddy shoes. Sometimes ???? I would of asked where in the world do you buy shoes like that? I swear I would have. Wait until you get to the airport for the ugly cry. I dont care how good you are at holding back the tears ..the floodgates will open and you will get the ugly cry. It happens all the time.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Have a great Christmas Kim!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Tig - I think we're gonna make it.

Thanks Val. I couldn't get my camera out quick enough to take a picture, and didn't have the guts to ask him if it was okay! They were SO green...

Thanks Poopie!

Sara - DS has his permit too. It's gonna be a very long winter!

Gran - glad you're back online. I missed you! Any mom of Tig's can give me advice ;)

Linda - Oh yes Dear. I can feel it coming already.

Idgie - you too!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Kim:

Hang in there girl! I know you have a lot going on at once, but you are strong and beautiful and you can do it! ;) When you get a chance, stop by my site - Jes redesigned it for me and I'm blogging again! Talk to you soon!

Mel

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home