Thursday, October 13, 2005

Filthy Trash!

Back BK (before Katrina)... I subscribed to Southern Living magazine. I hadn't taken a magazine in YEARS, and only requested the stupid thing because my boss' house is supposed to be featured in an upcoming issue. The first issue came when the mail started running again, about two weeks AK (after Katrina), I tossed it on the counter and promptly forgot about it.

This morning before work I had a few extra minutes and went to look for it. I was listening to the news, there are still so many people living in tents and needing help, I didn't want to hear any more and started thumbing through this glorious publication... it was the first time such trash had ever touched my fingertips! Plastic houses that children would not be welcome in. Yards that were not kid friendly either! You could not run, jump, or kick a ball in those places! You could not bake cookies with a child or grandchild in those kitchens! Then, the clincher. There was a photo of three southern belles each holding a nut. You know, the kind of woman with the perfect, big, aqua-net hair. Teeth so white they must have paid a fortune for, and the cherry red lipstick, perfectly placed. I could just see them running upstairs each day promptly at 4:55 p.m. to put on their pearls and give that big ole hair a pat and another squirt of aqua net before gliding down the stairs gracefully (on air!) as their hard working husbands came wearily through the door.

Trash. I'm sorry, but what is featured there is NOT southern living. The real homes, the real people. I left the stupid rag for Ms. SoonToBeBlue to look over. I figure she'll put it in her hope chest next to HER pearls. Then, I could not wait to get to work and log on and read the latest happenings over at the DEW. Dew On The Kudzu is a much better look at southern living and the real people who populate the south. The 1% of the population here who are featured in that other fire starter of a publication are few and far between. The editor, Idgie (of Fried Green Tomatoes!) is a funny, talented lady with a heart of gold.

The good ole boys and good ole gals here in the south have found a very special place in my heart. They've adopted me. Taken off the polish and made me over into a human being, instead of one of those plastic women that California had wanted me to be. I'll take the DEW any day over Southern Living. If you haven't seen the difference yet, you might want to check it out for yourself! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I dont read southern living, but I have to say that my boyfriends mom makes stuff with recipes that she gets from that magazine and its always REALLY good.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hmmm... ok Sara! I'll try the recipes. I saw something on squash in there that looked like it might be pretty good. Thanks for the info.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Lyvvie said...

I feel so guilty for neglecting your blog for so long! The old one was so hard for me to see it was painful.

But you're back here!!!!
Hooray!
Hooray!

I won't be naughty again.

9:38 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Good morning,isn't reality nice! Plastic sucks.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

*Sniff, sniff* Thanks Kim, for the big ole whopping compliment!

I too have looked thru that magazine and just snorted. I've never yet met a Southerner who lives like that!

That's one of the reasons I started the Dew.... to show the Real South.

Thanks again!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home