Sunday, December 11, 2011

Reflections

One of my goals for 2011 was to focus strictly on tournament play.  What an adventure! (...and blow to my bankroll lol)
Do I feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do?  Yes.  Is there still room for improvement?  Oh yeah.  Has it been a waste of time and money?  Nope. 
 I've been playing poker about 15 years.  Did the online micro grinding thing for a while but chose to stop 3-4 years ago because it just wasn't as satisfying as sitting around with live bodies touching the chips and the cards.  I've done very well in cash games until recently but my heart has always been wraped around tournaments.
So 2011 was all about tourneys. Tunica, Vegas, Biloxi, Vicksburg, Vegas, Biloxi, WSOP-C, and was on the rail for the 3rd time at the WSOP.  Stepping up and playing with a different caliber of players than I'm used to has sure brought room for growth and I've cashed twice, second place both times. At the same time there were moments when I was terrified, confident, made a good read, donked off my stack and had nightmares.  All year long, I was working three jobs -about 70 hrs a week, trying to bounce back from an abusive marriage, Feb-Nov my boss at the full-time job found out he had cancer, went through chemo and died--a whole word of personal challenges going on there which definitely affected how much I could mentally and physically stand to play. Then came one hell of a blow to my ego.  The first part of December I sat down at a cash table and LOST. WTF? Yeah. That had NEVER happened before and was probably good for me in some warped, sort of way.  Obviously there is still plenty of room for growth and adjustment.
Would I do it again?  Yes.  In fact, I plan to continue with this goal into 2012 and do even better.  I've met and played with some great people and look forward to seeing them again. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home