Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Gift (giggle!)...

It has been many years since a man other than my DH has given me a gift. But last night it happened. It's still cracking me up...

I haven't wanted to drink (alcohol) at all since I started taking the wellbutrin. As much as I joked and threatened to start drinking the day after Christmas (when Ms.BadAssAirForceGal left the nest) until the time I would see her again, I just haven't. So, last night I was sitting up at the bar sipping on a root beer talking poker with a couple of the guys we play with regularly. They were asking when I was going to start playing again and we were chatting about one of the other guys who is up north right now playing in a big tourney with a $10,000.00 buy in. We haven't heard from him yet so he's probably still in the game... Anyway, I start talking about poker and I'm a happy camper. I've missed playing the past couple of months but I wouldn't have missed out on spending the extra time with my daughter for anything in the world. ... so there I was, stuck talking to these dudes while I was waiting for DH to finish something and be ready to go. These aren't like buddies or friends or pals or anything. They're the type of guy when I see one or the other of them coming, I usually duck and run the other way and try and avoid them. The kind of guy you just have to be nice to because you feel sorry for, ya know? In fact, the only time I usually will pass the time of day with them is at the poker table, because I know I can take their money whether we are playing in a ring game or a tournament. Then I have to give them some attention so I can beat them. And there I was. Stuck. Without my cigarettes because I'm supposed to be quitting. And drinking root beer. Lovely.

Out of the blue, one of the guys reaches into his shirt pocket and has something in his hand. Which he passes to me. "Here you go. I've carried this around with me all day and it's very special..." OH JEEZ... PLEASE! He goes on to tell me how it is a piece of limestone rock which just FLEW into his shirt pocket that morning and it is very rare because look at the sharp edges and that just doesn't happen with this sort of rock. WHATEVER. I am trying to make keep a straight face and thank him for uh, such a special gift, all the while keeping eye contact with the bartender who is a friend of mine because she KNOWS how hard it was not for me to burst out laughing while adoring this small chip of rock in the palm of my hand. Oh MY. I oohed and ahhed appropriately as he beamed at all of us. My bartender friend came over and made a big deal out of the rock after I set it on the bar, pretending to be totally jealous because I got one and she didn't ... Somehow we managed to keep a straight face even when I whispered... "Don't you dare tell my DH... because he would NOT understand..." Then she and I just about lost it.

I took the wonderful gift home and gosh darn it, was going to bring it to work so I could post a picture of it here and put it in a place of honor on my desk today but I forgot it...

Don't y'all ever wonder about me again the next time I mention going to have a drink. THIS is the reason I do. Oh dear. I think I'm going to have another fit of the giggles. The poor dear man. I hope he doesn't think that I'm not going to beat him at the Hold-em table in the future... he could have put a million dollars in my hand last night and that still wouldn't happen. LOL

Ok. You had to be there. But it was. Funny.

8 Comments:

Blogger P M Prescott said...

You mean that all the money you've won off those guys, they weren't being true Southern Gentlemen and letting you win?
Enjoy the little rock, if nothing else it's been good for a laugh.

9:35 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

You better hope he didn't put some kind of hex on that little rock. hahahahah

9:54 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

SHAME ON YOU JAYE!! CRIPES. You know how superstitious I am about poker... darn it. Now what am I supposed to do...

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Val - not as funny as you getting the darth vader mask stuck on your head yesterday. Really.

10:10 AM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Why would an adult put a darth vader mask on? All kind of things can be good luck charms. Just take him at his word and feel that it is a good luck charm. See if it works!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

THat poor silly man! lol At least it made you laugh!

10:26 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

OH grandma, the mask,,, we are talking about Val here!!!!!! hahahaha

Sorry Kim bout the whole hex thing ok OOOGGAAA BOOOGGAAAA TURN IT AROUND HOW IS THAT

10:48 AM  
Blogger JUST A MOM said...

Hey I got your email and replyed to it. did you not get it back!!??? man this is getting old.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home