Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Final Closing Sale!

I am putting this out on the internet for one and all to see in an attempt to get a grasp on this toughlove thing. BANKofMOM is CLOSED.

There's a lesson gonna be learned in the next 24 hours or so, and it's probably going to be tougher on me than it is on Ms.Blue. Concerned mommy that I am, I've been keeping an eye on her bank account while she's been gone. What pride I felt as I watched her high school graduation money accumulate to be followed by one, two, three paychecks. She spent a little while we were with her. When we got home, I put a few hundred in just because I love her. And somehow, in the past week, she has gone through all her graduation money. And One. Two. Three paychecks. And has just about dwindled through all that I put in there as well. Hmmmm... we've warned her to watch her spending. Politely. Without getting on her case about it. I just checked the balance and in the next day or so, the free money machine (ATM) is going to reject her card. Oh, I wish I could be a fly on the wall when it happens. I wish I could see the wheels turning in her pretty little head under the blue hat when she tries to figure out what is happening. Oh Dear! No More Money!? It is still a full week until her payday so I am dying to see if she's just going to tough it out or call and ask for money. Gosh I hope she has picked up enough of her drycleaning so she doesn't get in trouble with her supervisors... but that's not my problem, right? Honestly, I want to run to the bank and put some money in there to tide her over until her next check comes... but I'm trying my best to ignore it. (giggle) What on earth can she have spent it all on? We're talking a couple of thousand dollars in a WEEK spent by someone who has no bills other than freeking shoe polish and dry cleaning. No house payment or rent. No food bills. No utilities. No car payment. No gasoline. No cab or bus fare --in phase 1 they can't even leave base! She can't wear civilian clothes yet, so uh... however she pissed it off, I'm going to have to make myself be strong tonight and not mention it to her. It's her money and she's earning it and gosh darn. Bank of Mommy is closed.

Thanks for letting me rant. I'm concerned. I want her to learn to be responsible.

14 Comments:

Blogger poopie said...

Two thousand bucks in a WEEK? Jeebus. Maybe she bought a small country.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Maybe she bought you a real nice present?

Take Care
Michael

7:37 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Just let her overdraw- she needs to learn how to be responsible with her money. If she is mature enough to defend our country, then she should be mature enough to keep track of her bank balance.

What on earth did she spend all that money on?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Jolie said...

Maybe something else has happened. Is it possible that someone else can access her account? Gah, do I sound like a mommy or what??? But just wanted to throw that out there.

9:35 AM  
Blogger grandma1 said...

Don't let her get in trouble with the bank. That will go in her record and keep her from getting premotions. They do have PX's on the base. She could have bought TV's, computer's or any other big items. You need to ask, also she should have told you. Is she still reporting to you on what she is spending?

9:56 AM  
Blogger dorothy rothschild said...

My mom would have totally let me twist on this one.

10:44 AM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

Far be it from me to give advise here. My son got himself into a lot of financial trouble in the air force and that's why they forced him out. They have little tolerance for this. She needs to learn it quick. You'd be surprised at how much their uniform costs are, though, and they get tired of eating in the chow hall and start eating at the fast food chains on base.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound just like me! This Bank Of Mom closed on my Army boy at about the same time in that you're closing yours. He did the same thing Miss Blue is doing and pissed the money off almost before he got it. He learned the lesson quick though, he only asked for money once and couldn't believe mama said no...He's 6 years in now and has never asked for another penny.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is an adult.. stand firm.
Umm since I happen to be particularly susceptible
to "but mom I really need some help"
I refuse to give away.. err loan more to our brats..
err adults...

1:42 PM  
Blogger chimx2 said...

Right ON Kim. I so freeking know the feeling. Oh let me count the ways. Lets start with my oldest daughter who is 23. She accumulated $1700 in parking tickets, $4000 credit card bill. Lives with her boyfriend whos parents pay the rent while he goes to school and my daughter works. She has asked for monies about once every 2 months for anywhere from $500-$1000 dollars. I give in. The last time she asked I said "NO". She got pissed and decided not to talk to me. Oh well. Second one ..my stepdaughter who at 19 got pregnant with a guy who already had 2 other kids from 2 other girls. No college, no job for her. Nope she wanted to be a stay home mom. Well now she had to go to work because loser wasnt going to support her and their childs behind. We found out she secured a loan for him to get a 2006 Dodge Charger car and Nextel cell phone. He quit his job so now she is supporting him and her and her baby. She called my husband to ask for $750 to pay their rent to his dad but left out loser just got a $4000 tax return check in his hot little hand. Oh they are saving it for a baby party when thier son turns 1. Let them learn like we had to to I say. Its to easy to help and they learn nothing. I am so done being a bank. Sorry for the rant. You just hit a nerve. Love ya girl. Linda

1:48 PM  
Blogger Angelia said...

Kim, OMG you sound just like me, well except putting money in ( I cant army made him think he had to have his account there at bct, and I have no access other than to be able to check the balance.. I have watched nick blow check after check on things that could honestly wait, and haven't seen a dime saved.

I did finally get him to have 200 a month sent to the home bank.
I've tried talking and explaining but it doesn't seem to do any good. I hope he gets some common sense soon. His credit record affects his securtiy clearence..
Stay strong Mom. Its hard but its for her good, and she wont be on the street without cash..:) maybe a little dry cleaning not picked up and talk from her commanding officers will make a diff.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Wow... can't wait to hear what in the world she spent it on!!!!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Tough love is good, but if this is sudden I would definitely sit her doewn and ask wht's going on. It could be a slew oif possibilities. Hope it's just retail therapy run amok, however, and nothing more dire. Good luck. And stay away from the mace.

;o)>

8:24 PM  
Blogger pebblepie said...

My Ms. Blue could not have not one iota of her personal belongings out. I can't figure where she is putting whatever...
I bought mine a TV/DVD combo, knowing it would arrive on the day she could finally have her stuff out.
She just finished and passed her running test, and will be able to to out for the first time this Friday.
Is yours still at Lackland? Mine was sent to Keesler on the Bay in Mississippi... They are cleaning up the hurricane mess, it's a volunteer thing, not mandatory, but she likes doing it.

Pebble

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home